City of Kingston Housing Authority KHA Facilities Manager
Adopted by CSC: October 26, 2020
KHA FACILITIES MANAGER
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Manages and supervises all aspects of the Kingston Housing Authority (KHA) facilities maintenance and grounds operations.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This is an important supervisory and administrative position involving responsibility for the safe, efficient and economical operation and maintenance of the KHA buildings, in accordance with federal Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and NYS Housing and Community Renewal (HCR) rules and regulations. Responsible for supervising the operations of the KHA facilities, implementing policies, procedures and managing all buildings, apartments, systems, grounds, parking lots, playgrounds, etc. of the KHA. This includes responsibility for supervising, coordinating the priorities and activities of subordinate staff and contractor services involved in the maintenance, services, replacement, repair, cleaning, upgrades of the mechanical and structural systems at various sites including the rehabilitation of vacated apartments for rent, consistent with HUD and HCR standards. Does related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative only)
• Plans, schedules, and supervises maintenance and repair activities for KHA properties
• Supervises, develops, trains, and evaluates subordinate staff
• Selects maintenance applicants and makes recommendations to Executive Director
• Develops, schedules, and monitors preventive maintenance program and work order system using a computerized system and summits regular reports as required
• Procures and maintains appropriate supply of materials, parts, tools, and equipment
• Conducts regular inspections of buildings and grounds, to ensure the safety compliance of smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors, heating plants, operating systems and equipment
• Make periodic inspections of all properties to check on the progress of assigned work and determine need for mechanical improvements or repair of buildings
• Performs annual written performance evaluations of maintenance staff
• Plans, develops, and enhances operating systems and insures appropriate controls
• Identifies and reports mechanical/structural deficiencies and need for repair
• Plans and oversees maintenance staff training
• Implements and enforces safety policies through regular inspections of facilities and equipment
• Trains and counsels staff in best safe practices and meets regularly with them to address concerns
• Prepare works order reports, vacancy turnaround reports and budget expenditure reports for management
• Assists in the development of policies and procedures concerning building maintenance.
FULL PERFORMANCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES & PERSONAL
CHARACTERISTICS: Good knowledge of housing building maintenance and operation activities; good knowledge of heating plant and air conditioning operations and OSHA safety precautions; thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of coordinating maintenance staff and materials; comprehensive knowledge of building maintenance trades and operations; thorough knowledge of digital controls, security systems, and related applications; ability to write specifications and draft RFP’s for bidding purposes; ability to understand, inspect and remedy defects in the maintenance and operation of buildings and equipment; ability to plan, organize, coordinate, train and supervise a staff having diverse skills in heating, plumbing, electrical, computer network wiring, telecommunications systems, air condition, carpentry, painting, other trades and grounds maintenance personnel; ability to maintain efficient and effective working relationships among subordinates and coworkers; ability to apply critical attitude in the inspection and evaluation of work completed and in progress; ability to communicate, understand and execute oral and written directions; ability to prepare preliminary budget and renovation cost estimates; mechanical aptitude; knowledge of HUD, HCR, OSHA and other environmental laws and regulations that impact housing, building facilities; ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing; Working knowledge of common office and maintenance software programs; ability to interact with the public in a courteous, tactful,’ and professional manner; ability to read and interpret plans, drawings, and blueprints; ability to maintain records and prepare reports; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with others; Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and
A. Graduation from a regionally accredited college or university or one accredited by the New York State Board of Regents to grant degrees with an Associate’s degree in Facilities or Building Management, Construction Management or related field and two (2) years’ paid full time work experience in the operation and maintenance of a housing facility, which must have included one year of supervisory experience; OR
B. Four (4) years paid full time work experience in the operation and maintenance of a housing facility, which must have included one year of supervisory experience; OR
C. An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A) and (B).
Possession of a valid New York State Motor Vehicle Operator’s License Class D and maintained with a clean record throughout employment.