Kingston Housing Authority is seeking applications for a full-time Maintenance Mechanic. Resumes must be submitted by June 22, 2018. Resumes can also be mailed to 132 Rondout Drive, Kingston, New York 12401.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Has charge of maintenance and operation of housing authority buildings, grounds and equipment; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This work involves supervision of and participation in the efficient and economical maintenance and operation of the properties of the housing authority. Supervision is received from the Director of Facilities with some leeway for making independent decisions on procedures to be followed in the completion of tasks. Supervision is exercised over the work of maintenance laborers.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
Makes periodic inspection of properties;
Makes electrical, plumbing and heating repairs;
Does carpentry, painting, masonry, roofing, tiling, locksmith and other mechanical work;
Maintains and cares for landscaped areas;
Estimates material required for repairs;
Keeps daily time and material records;
Reads utility meters;
Maintains the heating system;
Performs a variety of other skilled work.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Good knowledge of the practices, processes, tools and materials used in the maintenance of buildings and their mechanical, electrical and sanitary equipment; skill and aptitude as a general mechanic; ability to understand and carry out complex oral and written directions; ability to plan and supervise the work of others; ability to get along well with others; honesty; initiative; good judgment; physical strength; neat appearance; good physical condition.
ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: Graduation from high school and two (2) years of satisfactory experience in general building maintenance or building trades handyman work.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $35,000.00 to $40,000.00 /year
Kingston Housing Authority is seeking applications for a full-time Assistant Housing Project Manager. Resumes must be submitted by June 22, 2018. Resumes can also be mailed to 132 Rondout Drive, Kingston, New York 12401. The position will be filled on a provisional basis, contingent upon the candidate taking and passing the Civil Service test and achieving one of the top three scores.
ASSISTANT HOUSING PROJECT MANAGER
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This public housing position exists in the City of Kingston Housing Authority and involves responsibility for processing candidates and re-certifying residents for public housing apartments. The work is performed under the direct supervision of the Housing Project Manager with latitude to exercise independent judgment in carrying out work assignments. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative Only)
- Screens and interviews candidates for public housing apartment and determines eligibility for such rental assistance
- Assists in candidates in completing rental applications
- Processes applications for rental assistance in accordance with established policies and guidelines
- Provides information to residents, as to their rights and responsibilities under the program
- Performs annual re-certification of eligibility for rental assistance to program participants annually in accordance with federal and state regulations
- Provides assistance to the resident in the selection of and makes recommendations to the Housing Project Manager in the assignment of apartments
- Maintains application files and waiting lists in accordance with Federal and State regulations
- Establishes and maintains resident’s security deposits accounts in accordance with regulations
- Collects monthly rents, writes receipts and updates monthly rent records and processes uncollected accounts
- Processes paperwork and obtains necessary information regarding resident affairs including apartment transfers, resident grievances, resident eligibility and counseling of delinquent residents
- Assists the Housing Project Manager in resolving tenant/landlord problems
- Notifies residents of lease expirations and re-certification dates and sets up appointments for review, re-inspections prior to leasing or re-inspections and follow up to ensure deficiencies are corrected
- Evaluates the residents use of apartments and assists the Housing Project Manager in performing routine inspections prior to leasing or re-inspections and follows up to ensure deficiencies are corrected
- Assists residents with financial or social problems by providing information and referral services to clients regarding available community resources
- Maintains detailed and confidential records and prepares reports as required
- Maintains a close relationship with residents associations, community leaders and local and federal agencies
FULL PERFORMANCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Working knowledge of laws, regulations and policies pertaining to public housing; Working knowledge of economic and social factors related to housing programs; Working knowledge of social services, health-related and financial resources available to local residents; Working knowledge of the principles of real estate management; Working knowledge of the broad problems and objectives of public housing; Skill in conducting an interview to acquire information; Skill in resolving tenants grievances or disputes; Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; Ability to maintain detailed and confidential records and prepare reports; Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; Ability to learn to inspect and evaluate condition of housing units; Ability to make eligibility determinations by comparing applications to criteria; Initiative; Resourcefulness; Good judgement; Physical condition suitable to the demands of the position.
Candidates must meet the following requirements on or before the date of the written exam:
Graduation from high school or G.E.D. equivalent AND:
- Graduation from a NYS registered or regionally accredited college or university with a
Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Business or related field and two (2) years’ experience in property management or social services. One (1) year of which must have been in a supervisory capacity; OR
- Graduation from a NYS registered or regionally accredited college or university with an Associate’s Degree in Public Administration, Business or related field and four (4) years’ experience in property management or social services or a similar program operating under established criteria for eligibility. One (1) year of which must have been in a supervisory capacity; OR
- Six (6) years’ experience as described in A and B; OR
- An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A), (B) and (C).
- Must obtain Certified Specialist of Occupancy designation as defined by the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (NAHRO) within one year of appointment.
- Must possess a valid New York State Driver License at time of application and maintain a clean driving record throughout employment.