April 12, 2021
TO ALL KINGSTON HOUSING AUTHORITY RESIDENTS
Kingston Housing Authority will be holding elections for two Tenant Representatives to serve on the
Kingston Housing Authority’s Board of Commissioners. Pursuant to the provisions of Public Housing Law, Section 30, subdivision 5 and 24 CFR 964 subpart E, two tenant representatives shall be elected by the tenants of the Housing Authority for two-year terms each.
The election will take place on Wednesday, June 16, 2021. Absentee ballots will be available. The positions are open to all residents of the Housing Authority’s six complexes; Colonial Gardens, Colonial Gardens Addition, Wiltwyck Gardens, Rondout Gardens, Brigham Senior Housing and Stuyvesant Charter.
If you are interested in running for the position of Tenant Representative, please come to the Administration Office at 132 Rondout Drive to pick up a Nominating Petition Packet any time after April 14, 2021. Nominating Petitions are due to the office by 3:00 pm May 21, 2021.
Requirements to run for election:
- You must be 18 years of age or older on the date of the elections.
- You must have lived in a housing authority apartment for at least 90 days prior to the elections. You must obtain at least 20 signatures from eligible residents and return the nominating petition packet to the office by 3:00 pm on May 21, 2021.
Any resident unable to vote in person on June 16, 2021 can vote by absentee ballot. The absentee ballots will be available at the Administration Office on June 4, 2021 and must be returned by 4:00 pm June 1 1, 2021. Residents are encouraged to come out and vote, Wednesday, June 16, 2021 between the hours of 9:00 am and 2:00 pm at the following polling places:
Rondout Gardens office / Colonial Gardens — office / Brigham Senior Housing community room
If you have any questions, please feel free to call the office. (845) 331-1955
Board of Commissioners
Marge Knox. Chair Joseoh McDole. Jr. Karen Winkle-Gorsline Reynolds Scott-Childress Rose Ann Noble Marie Gilles Pamela Lindsay
KINGSTON HOUSING AUTHORITY TENANT REPRESENTATIVE ELECTION PROCESS POLICY AND PROCEDURE MANUAL
l . This policy and procedure shall apply to all elections for tenant representatives to be members of the Kingston Housing Authority Board of Commissioners. This policy and procedure shall apply to both regular bi-annual elections in accordance to the provisions of the Public Housing Law, Section 30, subdivision 5 and 24 CFR 964 subpart E and shall equally apply to special elections to fill a vacancy in a tenant representative membership.
- The date for the election of a tenant representative to fill a vacancy shall be set by the Authority at either a regular or special meeting thereof.
- The Executive Director shall, immediately after such resolution, prepare a Tentative List of Eligible Voters. Eligible voters are all persons who:
- are listed on a lease, and are resident at, a property owned by the Kingston Housing Authority and
- have resided at the Kingston Housing Authority for at least ninety (90) days prior to the election date and
- will be eighteen (18) years old or older on the election date.
- All eligible voters are also eligible to nominate tenant representative candidates and are also eligible to be a tenant representative.
- The Executive Director shall so label the Tentative List of Eligible Voters and shall post notice of same in a conspicuous place at each of the polling places at least forty-five (45) days prior to the election date.
- The Executive Director shall also prepare a schedule of all relevant dates and deadlines for nominating petitions, nominees’ statements, absentee ballots and objections to the List of Eligible Voters and post in a conspicuous place at each of the polling places.
- The following clocuments shall be prepared by the Executive Director in consultation with counsel to the Authority and shall be made available to all eligible voters who desire copies of such documents:
- nominating petition form,
- nominee’s statement of eligibility,
- ballot form,
- absentee ballots and
- objections to list of eligible voters.
- Any deadline set forth in the By-Laws or in this Manual shall be deemed to expire at the close of Kingston Housing Authority business on the date specified. Any deadline date that shall fall on a Saturday, Sunday or National Holiday shall be deemed extended to the following business day.
- The Executive Director shall time stamp each document received by him or her, in connection with this procedure, immediately upon receipt of same. For all purposes of this election, filing with the Executive Director shall be deemed to be the date on which the
Executive Director is actually in possession of any document to be filed with him or her.
- The tenth (10th) day prior to the election date shall be the last date on which any person may object to the list of eligible voters. An objection to the list of eligible voters may only be made on the form provided by the Executive Director. The Executive Director’s decision as to the validity of any objection, after consultation with and concurrence of Counsel to the Kingston Housing Authority, shall be final and conclusive.
I l . On the fifth (5 th) day prior to the election date, the Executive Director shall post notice of the Final List of Eligible Voters at each of the polling places above mentioned. This list shall be conclusive and binding as to which persons are eligible voters for any election.
- On the twenty-fifth (25 th) day prior to the election date, any and all nominating petitions must have been filed with the Executive Director.
- The ballots and absentee ballots must be made available to any eligible voter beginning on the tenth (1 0th) day prior to the election date.
- The Executive Director shall, in consultation with Counsel to the Authority, examine all nominating petitions to determine their compliance with Public Housing Law, Section 30, subdivision 5 and 24 CFR 964 subpart E. The decision of the Executive Director after consultation with and concurrence of the Counsel to the Authority shall bc deemed binding and conclusive as to whether a candidate has been properly nominated and therefore includible in the ballot.
- Absentee ballot forms will be available beginning on the tenth (1 0th) day prior to election date and must filed with the Executive Director not later than the fifth (5 th) day prior to the election date. No absentee ballots filed after the fifth (5 th) day prior to the election date shall be counted. Only one tenant used an envelope. On the election date, each polling place shall be open for the casting of ballots between the hours of 9:0() AM and 4:00 PM. The Executive Director shall provide poll watchers to supervise the casting of ballots. Is it possible to have only I watcher per poll? The duties of a poll watcher shall consist of verifying the identity of each eligible voter and their eligibility to vote prior to the casting of each ballot. The poll watcher shall also check the list of absentee ballots received against the attending voter. If any eligible voter shall cast both an absentee ballot and a ballot in person, then the absentee ballot shall not be opened or counted. The Executive Director may not employ the services of a poll watcher who has in the past been, is currently, or has an application pending to become, a resident of the Kingston Housing Authority, or who has been an employee, contractor, agent or member of the Authority.
- The Executive Director shall provide a secure ballot box which shall be located in a private area at each polling place for the marking of ballots and the insertion of such marked ballot into the secure ballot box. The Executive Director shall insure that he or she is in possession of the only keys to each secure ballot box. The Executive Director may, in the alternative, make provision for the use of voting machines used at general elections.
- At the closing of the polling places, the Executive Director shall personally go to each polling place and take possession of each secure ballot box, or, in the alternative, shall open and take possession of the results, of each voting machine.
- The Executive Director shall thereupon transport all secure ballot boxes, or polling results, to the offices of the Kingston Housing Authority together with the final list of eligible voters with the poll watchers indications thereon which eligible voters have in fact attended and cast ballots in person.
- The Executive Director shall thereupon compare the list of persons casting ballots in person with the list of properly filed absentee ballots and shall then segregate and shall not count the absentee ballots of any eligible voters who have also voted in person.
- The Executive Director shall, together with such assistance as he or she shall personally select, and in the presence of each of the properly nominated candidates, or a duly appointed representative, open each ballot box and count the ballots, or, in the alternative, tabulate the results of the voting machines. The Executive Director shall thereafter open each absentee ballot and count those ballots.
- After the counting of the ballots has been completed, the Executive Director shall, under the penalties of perjury, certify the results of the election to the members of the Kingston Housing Authority. The Executive Director may not publicize the results of the election at any time or in any manner until after the execution of such sworn statement.
KINGSTON HOUSING AUTHORITY
TENANT REPRESENTATIVE ELECTION IMPORTANT DATES
|April 12, 2021||Announce the process|
|March 24, 2021||Deadline to determine eligibility|
|April 14, 2021||Nominating petitions available|
|May 2, 2021||Post Tentative List of Eligible Voters|
|May 3, 2021||May 21, 2021||Deadline range for Nominating Petitions and Biography filed with Executive Director|
|May 27, 2021||Deadline to challenge signatures on petition|
|May 31, 2021||Deadline to determine validity of petitions and candidate qualification|
|June 6, 2021||Deadline to Obiect to Tentative List of Eligible Voters filed with Executive Director|
|June 6, 2021||Ballot & Absentee Ballots Made Available|
|June 6, 2021||Post Ballot at Each Polling Place|
|June 11, 2021||Posting of Final List of Eligible Voters|
|June 11, 2021||Deadline to submit absentee ballot to Executive Director|
June 16, 2021 ELECTION DAY
9:00 am until 2:00 pm
|June 23, 2021||Deadline to request recount|
|June 23, 2021||Deadline for write-in candidate to submit statement of eligibility|
Any deadline date that shall fall on a Saturday, Sunday or National Holiday shall be deemed extended to the following business day.